I posted my plan to Get Ripped a few days ago – and I’ve been following it for a week. Things seem to be going pretty well (already lost a few pounds of fat)… BUT it’s likely that I have the wrong plan for my goals.
Feedback I’ve gotten:
- Forget this crap about eating less. Eat as much as you like – and even more good fats (esp coconut oil and MCT oil). Eat the right stuff and the rest will follow.
- You said… ‘this is primarily a matter of dropping that fat – rather than ‘this kid is just skinny as hell and needs to add muscle’. Or at the least – I should drop that fat then add more muscle.’ But you are wrong – I looked at your picture – you are a skinny little twig that doesn’t need to lose more fat – you need to pack on some muscle (said nicely).
I think they are right. I’ve got the wrong plan. If my goal is to look like this:
Then just going from 11% body fat to 8% body fat isn’t going to do it. I need to add 10-15 pounds of muscle as well. Adding muscle will serve me quite well in sports and activities as well.
What part of my plan needs to change?
- The things I am choosing to eat are fine – but instead of ‘eat a bit less’ I should be ‘eating alot more’. Not sure what my calorie target should be – but likely to be 3000-3500 calories per day. I’ve been at 2000-2500. I’m still waffling on exactly how much carbohydrate I will need.
- Yoga, Rock Climbing, Cycling, etc. won’t prevent me from hitting my goals (as long as relatively moderate) – but they will not help me either.
- Crossfit metabolic workouts will build strength and especially endurance – but not bulk.
- I need to add lifting heavy things. I’ve currently evaluating Westside Barbell, Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards, Wendler 5/3/1, and Occam’s Protocol. I’ll pick one and go with it.
- I have been recommended by multiple sources using creatine. I’ll give it a try – although last time I did it upset my stomach – so I’ll have to be careful about what type I use. I should also be looking into protein sources – I’ll likely need some protein shakes to pack in enough calories but would like to keep it relatively clean and Paleo friendly.
- The rest of my supplementation plan still seems sound.
- Intermittent fasting is questionable. I’m still mulling keeping it – as long as I can pack in enough calories during the 8 hour feeding window.
- Can I stay lean while I am adding bulk? Or do I have to accept some fat gain during this period and then lean out again? I’d rather not – but adding muscle is the primary goal.
More soon as I bring this all together…